Resurrection

I live in a rented house. The landlord lives upstairs with his married son and a 2 year old grand daughter. On a gentle evening, I went up to his room to pay my rent. I was not in a very good mood due to some trifle problems that added up to something big. As I stepped inside I realized that the mother was teaching English alphabets and words to the little one in a room outside which I stood waiting for the landlord. She tried hard, but the little one didn't pay attention and kept laughing and giggling without any reason. Finally the girl spoke the letter 'A' in an amusing yet clear way. It was not a great achievement, but the joy that it brought on the mothers face cannot be enunciated by words. All my tensions culminated at that very moment and what I realized I drafted into a story.

Resurrection

It was the inception of a lousy evening when a mother-son duo sat at the corner of an immaculate restaurant.
"We're growing old son, all we want is for you to come and stay with us.", said the old lady.
"Mom, I bought you a condo so that father and you could stay together and have a private life", he replied.
"We don't want privacy. We want you!"
"Why? Is it the money? I've stayed twenty five years with you and I decided I wanted to be alone."
"Five years you've stayed away, desolate, why do you hate us?" asked the mother who was at the verge of breaking down.
"Because I've stayed twenty five years with you and I'm sick of all the melodrama. All I wanted was a normal happy family, but I got nothing! Nothing!!", he seemed frustrated.
"I fought the whole world just to shield you from them, and you call it melodrama?", she looked shocked.
"I guess you've achieved it. You never understand mom, that's why I never think of staying with you- Never!", he thumped the beige table with his fist attracting nearby unwanted attention.
"You'll understand it someday", she wiped a tear off her moist eye.
"I'll go now." he stood up and walked right past his mother with no sign of any warm emotion. The mother did not stop him.

He asked his driver to drive back home and decided to walk - To Where? No one knew. The sun had begun setting and a cold wind blew across the pavement where he walked. He buttoned his coat and continued forward. The gutsy wind showed no change. Finally he came across a point where a herd of hare-brained characters shielded the view of what was at the center.
"Dad! Ice cream!", an infant- barely three was carried by a thin rugged man who stood watching nearby.
"It's too crowded, I'll get you something else", he replied.
"Ice cream! Ice cream!", the fanatic stuck to his tone.
"Alright, you stay with your mom, I'll get you your ice cream.", he dropped him onto the floor and the imbecile held his mothers hand.
The father looked happy to get into that monstrous crowd where any hard working soul would have to succumb. The protagonist decided to watch from a distance. He was enticed by the enigma of the father's joy. The father struggled his way through as the kid climbed to the limits of his happiness. The mother too had a smile on her face. But betwixt this happiness and struggle, lurked a disaster, waiting to strike at the right moment.

The mother still smiled in her saree and the mid aged father still struggled through the crowd. Time Stopped! A black Volkswagen went out of control as it crossed the red light light about a hundred yards away on the busy wide road. One could see through the window how the driver desperately tried to take control his car. The berserk car headed straight for the mother-son duo. Struck by fear, they turned to stone. Wild lunatics gave birth to a stampede, the father could not be seen. Hope had crumbled for the two, just when a wild madman came rushing towards them and pushed them away. He paid a deadly price for it. The child was terrified to see his savior fly away by the impact - yet he was safe except for minor bruises.
'What was that?', the protagonist thought as he rushed towards the victim.
A huge crowd gathered around the car which had finally come to a stop after slamming against a closed beauty parlor.
Formal shoes, pant, a strap bag and a vaguely blue shirt covered the middle aged man's body. He was badly hit. Not one in the crowd dared to touch the unconscious mighty Hercules, but the ambulance was already called. People only watch and when one decides to act, they mindlessly gather around to sympathize. The protagonist phoned his driver and put his coat under the victims head. The involved driver had gained consciousness and rested outside the vehicle with a severely injured body. The father had found his family and at once arrived to take a look at his guardian angel.  The ambulance arrived and took the demented driver first. There were many injured people and so there was no room for the unconscious man in the ambulance. The protagonist had a small conversation with the men and took the heavily injured into his car which had recently arrived. All along the way he was troubled by this very question - Why? The man wasn't related to the kid or the family - so why? He couldn't let that man die. He needed answers.

He took care of everything at the hospital, luckily there were no casualties.
"Hey, are you alright?", the man asked as he entered the victims room.
"Yes, and thank you sir for your help. The doctor told me how you brought me here."
"Don't thank me. Just tell me why you saved the two and risked your life for it?", he couldn't resist.
The wretched took a gasp and tried to get up. The other man gently pushed him back and said "Just tell me."
He laid down and replied, "Because if I wouldn't, his mother would."
"What?"
"For parents, their kids are their most precious jewel, especially for a mother. She nurtures them, grows old with them and works hard for them to keep her happy and protect them. They are a part of her, no mother should be deprived of her children, nor should the children be deprived of their mother", his tone softened, "As time passes kids forget what they mean to their mother and start detesting her. All her hard work and good will is transformed into something maleficent for them; Never to realize, they are hating the one who loves them the most.", he sighed.
"Why You? Anyone else could have helped her,Why You?", he was inquisitive.
"No, you only realize what you had when it's gone. No one would have helped them, because no one understands how a mother feels. People criticize, never empathize. I lost my parents in a car accident, I know the pain. How hard it is to grow up without them. I wasn't there to help save my parents, but I was there to save them. I would die peacefully knowing that I changed the course of someone's life. That is why I saved them, because it is good to act sometimes without over thinking."
A dreadful silence filled that room.
"I'm sorry. I'll take your leave now",  he walked to the door trying to hide his face.
"Thank you once again, sir"
"No, Thank you sir", he paused and replied without turning back as he walked past the door.

In the room next was the family that was miraculously granted another life. Looking through the glass etched on the door the man saw something which marked his breaking point. The mother laid on the bed and next to which sat the father with the son. The kid said something and the mother burst into laughter, the father smiled and giggled. It was inaudible but it was beautiful. His eyes grew moist and a smile showered upon his face. He picked up his phone as he walked away and dialed a number. The phone rang as he took a deep breath. It was received on the other end, "Mom...".




P.S: Share my posts if you like them. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Afterlife

Echoes

Castles